Thursday, March 22, 2012


This is my current build. At this point it is almost ready for fiberglass on the deck. This is a hybrid Night Heron with the high deck option. My size 12 1/2 feet limit the designs I can comfortably fit into.
The deck is a combination of redwood and poplar. I stained the redwood with a water based stain to accent the color. The foredeck is poplar with a blue Minwax wiping stain. The stars are white vinyl made from sticky-back vinyl sheet and a star punch.
The staining of the stripes was a somewhat involved process. When I first tested the stain, the color spread from strip to strip. I did some research and found that epoxy bonds very well with laquer so I eventually masked the area to be stained and sprayed laquer on the unmasked area. After stripping the masking, I stained the red and cleaned up the minimal over-stain. I then put two coats of laquer on to allow light sanding without removing the stain.
We are having a rather cool spring here, so I am waiting for temperatures in the seventies to lay the glass on the deck.
I have decided to go with a stacked plywood coaming lip instead of the standing strip and laminated ash lip I have used on my other kayaks. I am hoping to speed up the process a little and to strengthen the cockpit area since with the smaller "keyhole" cockpit cut out on this design, I will have to sit on the deck to enter the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment